Skip to main content

10 for '10: My new years resolutions

Sydney Harbour Bridge FireworksIt's been ages since my last proper blog here...it almost feels 'alien' typing one up! This blog post is inspired by Cameron Chapman's article titled 10 for ‘10: My New Years Resolutions which got me thinking about my top 10 for '10... I will probably open myself up to some criticism here from the people who know me best but ack...I don't mind! Eeeep! ;)
It's good to have goals they say...so here are my 10 goals which I'm going to slowly ease into...cos' they're big ones! Well...for me at least!

1. Start the day earlier

Yes, I'm no morning person... I'm getting older and sleeping in really isn't the thing to do. It gives me less time for everything which then leads to endless rushing and running around. I'll eventually run out of puff!

2. Go to bed earlier

This really goes hand-in-hand with resolution number 1. I've been a night owl for as long as I can remember and I want to change that and get some well deserved sleep! More sleep has been shown to have more health benefits.

When people do not have enough sleep, they cannot concentrate well the next day and have problems forming memories

I can honestly say that this has happened to me. It's terrible...and I don't want it to happen as long as I can control it at least! :P

3. Exercise at least 3 times a week for 30mins

My recent canyoning experience with RDMH in December last year spawned on this resolution. The canyoning experience was one that left me sore, bruised and embarrassed. Mostly due to my very evident lack of fitness. So far I'm happy to say that I've started walking/running again and it does feel good. It'll take some time for my body to adjust and rediscover some very unused muscles but it's all worth it in the long run. Maybe I'll throw in some cycling for good measure now and then too.

4. Read more/write more

Recreation isn't something I make much time for I've noticed so I'd like to introduce more reading and writing into my daily routine. Being on Twitter has helped me actively do this in some ways but I'd like to make it more of a habit offline as well. Perhaps reading the paper with Dad on Sunday is the new thing?

5. Stress less

Stress has undoubtedly been one of my biggest falls of '09 and even extends back to '08. Last year was the year heavy spending; my bf Daniel and I bought a land and house package and then late last year I topped it off by using up the rest of my savings by buying my first brand new car. With more big exciting things happening this year such as the house going up and then the big move out, it's imperative!

6. Keep in touch with friends

I really haven't made much time for my friends so this year I'm going to make a conscious effort to pick up the phone, have a chat and meet up with the friends that matter to me the most.

7. Make time to do something creative at least once a week

Last year I suffered from periodic creative blues simply from not doing more creative activities outside of my day job. My most vivid creative experience was when I ventured out to The Arthouse hotel with my friend Claire for a Dr Sketchy's session which I discovered through a discussion of art with an overseas friend. The drawing session certainly got the creative juices flowing...especially for Claire who came up with some rather 'interesting' pre-show drawings. A little too saucy for this blog post I'm afraid! All jokes aside though, creativity is something I want to explore more of. Perhaps not just through artistic means either. Creativity can be shown in many other ways, I just got to do them!

8. Be tidier

I'd like to think I'm not much of a hoarder but my room can prove me wrong on that. Mostly filled with little things that I've received over the years it's going to be tough to let go of a lot...especially some of the sentimental things. I've already started but I have a long way to go yet. The end goal is to be ready when I move out of my dad's place this year, which is likely to be around the middle of this year.

9. Get out of the house

I just realised how that reads! This isn't to be mistaken with me moving out this year but to do with me getting out and doing things. I want to be more active and have more experiences. I'm looking forward to a trip to Egypt in May with Daniel, which will no doubt be one of the highlights for this year!

10. Be happier

How do you measure happiness? It's not mathematics that's for sure! But some people can find happiness much easier than others. For me, happiness is something I've found hard to find in '09 even in the midst of great things happening around me. So this year will be a time for me to focus on the good and not so much on the bad. Here's to the happy new year ahead of me and hopefully to you too!

Comments

Hank said…
This is an excellent list and I agree with pretty much all of the points. Best of luck with those, looks like you've done some very good reflection.

Now, I'd better make my own list...

Popular posts from this blog

Peeping Tom Beat It Up in Sydney!

Last Thursday the 21st of June I had the privilege of witnessing an unbelievable night of hard core, funk, hip-hop, rock and alternative music! With a line up that big you'd think I went to a festival to see a multitude of performers. Ironically that is what Peeping Tom is! Mike Patton's Peeping Tom is made up of an eclectic mix of genres, styles and performers which come together to make music that is captivating, experimental and inspiring to the taste of a diverse range of fans (including myself). Patton didn't fail to impress the Sydney audience at the Enmore Theatre in Sydney, Australia. His remarkable vocal range changes, beat-boxing abilities, experimentation, energetic performance and audience participation had everyone including my friend, Elisa and I in awe and excitement the entire time. There is probably nothing that Patton cannot sing which is what I love. Having grabbed the last two tickets from just a hand-full available from Ticketek the day before his per

Day 4- Pisco, Peru

Yesterday we met the people in our tour group and funnily enough the majority are from Australia. :) About half Oz, one Japanese, two English, and one Canadan. The majority of the group are quite young with the oldest going to 55years or there abouts. We also met our tour leader Nicolas who has been doing this profession for about 4 months but has been a guide in other things for 4 years. It{s amazing that he's only 22 years old! Right now we're in Pisco, Peru and relaxing after our bus ride from Lima which was about 4 hours. Our hotel is beautifully furnished and adorned with Peruvian arts and crafts. It's very homely and has a wonderful atmosphere. Before arriving here though, it was hard to believe that such a nice place could be in the midst of very poor neighbourhoods. On our way here we passed two funerals which were street funerals; massive crowds follow a car adorned with flowers and the procession is quite amazing. Music is played and from what I saw the peopl

Beautiful Quito-Ecuador!

¡Hola todos! Dad and I have been in Quito, Ecuador for the past four days, since 21st of September. We came from our very brief stay in La Paz, Bolivia where the shopping was cheap and the traffic plenty. On arrival at Quito airport we weren´t sure if we´d be greeted by anyone in the family. Upon our exit from customs we didn´t see anyone from the family so we were quite disappointed. Dad then proceeded to go to one of the phone booths at the airport when I noticed a young man with aviation sunglasses walking towards me with another lady beside him. I was my cousin Carlos Alberto who had come to Australia to study a few years ago with his mother Susanna! Some of our family was there! We were so happy because it turned out that a lot of our family had come to the airport to see us! About 10 people! I just wish I knew a lot more Spanish because most of them don´t speak English. I´ve been trying to speak in Spanish most of the time. It´s been quite trying and funny at the same time. W